Monday 17 April 2006

Blogs/Live Journal Questionaire

I was reading ncot's LJ and spotted the link to the Save Live Journal (and me!) posting
I thought that I would answer the questions and, using the belt and braces approach record the details on both my Blog and my LJ. (I'm still struggling with LJ!)

1. How did you find out about LJ?
Through the BookCrossing UK mailing list

2. Why do you keep a Journal?
To record events, thoughts or just bits I want to save. How many of us see something that we want to make a note of then loose the note, or find their desk covered in post it notes? To me a Blog/LJ is somewhere I can record them. They show that a particular thing was of interest to me, and I guess enables a reader to build a small profile of me.

3. Do you also keep a paper diary?
Yes, two of them. One is events and appointments, the other is a handwritten and records all sorts of things, that I want to record for the future and so I don't forget them. I've kept every journal,notebook and diary I've written since 1982!

4. How long have you had an LJ? How long do you think you'll keep writing in it?
I've had my Blog since August 2003 and my Live Journal since September 2005, and Shhh I prefer Blog!

5. Have you ever lost whole LJ entries or parts of them? How did you feel about it?
Touching lots of wood, no I haven't, but the thought of loosing part of my Blog or LJ gives me a really sicky feeling.

6. What's your favorite thing about LJ? Your least favorite?
My favourite thing about the concept of LJ & Blogs is that I can, and often do get lost in them. You can start reading and follow a link and read about something that is personal and important to someone else. This is actually a really good example. I read an email on the BCUK mailing list by ncot and followed the link to her LJ, which then lead me to this questionaire.
My least favourite thing about LJ specifically is that I find it more complicated than Blog.

7. Would you want all or part of your LJ to survive you? Who/where would you leave it to?
I want it all to survive. As a historian I love reading journals and papers that have survived from previous years. I want my research notes, and there are lots of them, and both my written Journal and online Journals to survive the test of time. Its my way of saying I was here, and this is what I felt, did and thought. I would like to leave it to my cousin's daughter. She is a very special young women with a family of her own.

::ETA:: If an archive or library asked for a copy of your LJ for research purposes, whould you give it to them?
Yes, I'd be happy to. What is important to remember is that a LJ or blog may look boring or dull, but it means something to the person who it belongs to. A peer to Samuel Pepys may have thought his Diary boring, but look at historical value they have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...