Tuesday 14 November 2006

100% English

Liver Journal user LyzzyBee alerted me to the fascinating programme broadcast on Channel 4 yesterday.

The programme synopsis
"Take eight people - all of whom are convinced they are 100% English. Then submit a sample of their DNA to a series of state-of-the-art tests... Lord Tebbit, Garry Bushell and Carol Thatcher are among the participants who have agreed to place their genetic make-up under the microscope."

What was produced was a fascinating and yet controversial programme. What makes us English? If we are born of English parents? That we can trace generations after generation into deep rural England, or perhaps the child of a migrant couple?.....see,all very controversial and definetely verging on being non politically correct.

I was born in England, to an English mother and an Italian father, my older half brother was born in Italy, to Italian mother and father and in the main educated in Italy, but did spend time in England. My younger half brother, born to Italian parents was born in England. His he more or less English than I am?

I guess it depends on your view. I am anglo Italian, and proud of it. The use of DNA is a fascinating one, and as my father comes from Sicily I wonder if there is any Arabic blood in there? given the history of Sicily.

You are only what you feel, and when I am in a mixed group, say at the Italian Procession in Clerkenwell in July, I do feel that I embrace my Italianness!

One point that was raised from several of the 8 people, as they were given their DNA results, they commented if the results indicated a particular comfortableness to a particular country or culture. One was told that there was a chance she had links to the China region and she wondered if this was her interest in Chinese artifcates....an interesting point from the same individual who was horrified her father's off license had become a chinese takeaway and had never had a spring roll!

Much food for thought - thanks LyzzyBee!

Live Journal thread is HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...