Saturday 3 March 2012

George's War

Back in 2008, I launched the Blog - George's War. The aim was to explore and research my Grandfather's part in the Second World War.

When I started this quest, I didn't really think that there was much in the way of documentation and items from his war years left to enable me to piece together those fearful days, but when I sat and looked closer at what documents and other items I had, it was actually more than I thought.

I inherited - 
  1. A set of medals complete with the cardboard box they were dispatched in and the original greaseproof paper envelope that the medals were wrapped in.
  2. A small little leather wallet and a coin
  3. A selection of photographs
  4. Various stories handed down from my Grandparents
  5. A piece of material embroidered by my Grandfather while he was stationed in Sierre Leone
  6. A Service Pay Book 
Service and Pay Book - George Butcher
Service & Pay Book George Butcher InsertService & Pay Book George Butcher Front CoverService & Pay Book George Butcher Page 1Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 2Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 3Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 4
Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 5Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 6Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 7Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 8Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 9Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 10
Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 11Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 12Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page 13Service & Pay Book George Butcher Page14Service & Pay Book George Butcher Back Cover





So, it does seem fitting, that on what would have been my Grandfather's 104th birthday that I really push on with my quest and try to understand the events of his time as a Serviceman during the Second World War, or as I affectionately call it, George's War.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...