Saturday 31 March 2012

Weekend Cooking - 25 Family Style Lemon Recipes Edited by Linda Pogue

I love citrus foods, oranges, lemons and limes, but lemons are my favourite. So I was pleased to discover this e-book collection of Family Style Lemon Recipes recently.

There is a nice mix of sweet and savoury  - beverages, breads, sweets, biscuits, desserts, main and side dishes as well as party foods and snacks.

There are no pictures in the e-book, but the layout is clear concise. Ingredient's and then numbered points for the cooking method.  The recipes look fairly straight forward and easy to put together.

Immediate favourites are Lemon Tuna Salad, Lemon Shrimp (served with parmesan rice), Lemon pork chops and always a favourite of mine, Lemon chicken. I usually make Lemon chicken using a whole chicken cooked in the oven, but here is a different version:

Lemon Chicken - Slow cooked in a crockpot

3 and a half pounds of chicken pieces
1 teaspoon crumbled dry leaf oregano
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup of chicken broth or water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 cups cooked instant rice

  1. Wash chicken, pat dry and season to taste with salt and pepper
  2. Sprinkle half of garlic and oregano over the chicken
  3. In a frying pan, brown chicken on all sides in butter
  4. Move chicken to crockpot
  5. Sprinkle with remaining garlic and oregano
  6. Add broth or water to frying pan and stir to loosen the brown bits
  7. Pour the broth into the slow cooker
  8. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours
  9. Add lemon juice an hour before serving
  10. Skim fat from juices and pour into a serving bowl
  11. Thicken juices and add to the cooked rice
  12. Serve chicken with rice
Taking part in Weekend Cooking hosted by BethFishReads

18 comments:

  1. Oh, Lemon Tuna Salad sounds perfect for Lent. My mouth is watering now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought I might make the Tuna salad over the Easter break, although the lovely sunshine appears to have gone and been replaced with a undercoat grey sky!

      Delete
  2. I love anything with lemons also! I'm glad you put up a crock pot recipe - I love those for during the week when I have a lot of work to do. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lemon! Thanks for the link to the book. The chicken sounds delicious. Would love to try the Tuna as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have written your first sentence. I love citrus and I especially love lemon. OMG this chicken sounds yummy. So do the tuna, shrimp, and pork. Wow. Must find this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked (click ebook) to the UK Amazon site. Here is the US Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/Family-Style-Lemon-Recipes-ebook/dp/B007HEVTH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333209060&sr=8-1

      Delete
  5. I don't eat meat myself but I just have to check this out for the sweet recipes! :) I love to use lemon in my baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love lemons too -- and crock pot recipes are always welcome. Thanks for linking to the ebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMM! Saving this one! I love lemon and chicken together and the crockpost makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing post! I came across your blog via the A-Z Challenge. I now follow your blog :) Please check mine out over at yadinbromberg.blogspot.com

    Good luck with A-Z!!!
    -Yadin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiring post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That chicken sounds wonderful! What a great idea for a little e-book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lemons..sweet or savoy...and they smell so great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a tree full of lemons, so this sounds like a good recipe for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:41 am

    Yum here is my A
    http://pa-ul.blogspot.com/search/label/GAC%20A-Z%20Artists

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love lemons and food cooked in the crockpot. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lemon is wonderful, always makes any dish so fresh.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...