Wednesday 4 July 2012

Library Loot - 2nd July

Last year I was regularly taking part in a "In my mail box" post and then slackened off towards the end of the Summer. I have always been amazed at the wide variety of books that Marg at Intrepid Reader seems to gather from her library and thought that I would start by sharing my recent successful visit whilst taking part in Marg's weekly meme. You can read the Library Loot details HERE

I had not been to my local library for months. Mainly because of being laid up with my back and leg and relying fairly heavily on Mum or husband when he remembered to collect or return books. So this was my first proper visit since last Summer. Well, I had a lovely 40 minutes in the library and left with renewed enthusiasm for my local library.

The library has reduced its hours, not by much, just 9 hours a week. They have removed the swinging stands in the middle and placed the books in the alphabetical shelves which is great. They have also swapped the rather large and formal desk with a series of self service machines and shelves which hold books reserved. The librarian counter is open planned and there is of course internet access, the reference section and catalogue accessible via the internet. There was not an obvious reduction of staff, which were friendly and informative as always.

Just inside the door was a stand promoting reading with a themed link to the Olympics and Paralympics. You can read the details HERE.

I selected 10 great books. I already had one at home and have to leave the last space on my library card for a book I reserved last week. So here is what I picked up.


6 comments:

  1. Looks like you got a good haul Julie as well as diverse topics. I was watching a bit of Route 66 last week on TV at Mum's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a heavy haul! Thankfully we had the car. Route 66 was broadcast here last year so I was delighted there was a book. A quick glance & it is just like Billy is having a conversation with the reader.

      Delete
  2. I loved Billy Connolly's "Journey to the Edge of the World". However, I didn't realise he'd also done an American road trip, or that there was an accompanying book (which, having just looked it up, I see won't be out here in Canada until September). I'll definitely keep an eye out for both the show and, in the autumn, the book! Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. It does look a good book, just like a conversation with Billy!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea, encouraging people to go to the library...brilliant :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover of According To Bella is adorable. Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...