Tuesday 8 January 2013

Sky Burial by Xinran

As a child, Xinran had heard stories of a soldier that had been fed to the vultures in what is known in Tibet as a Sky Burial. Several decades later, Xinran, by then a journalist and writer, met the wife of that soldier.

Sky Burial is the amazing story that was told to Xinran by the widow, known as Shu Wen.

It is the story of her love for her husband and the search for the truth surrounding his death. It is also the amazing story of realisation, friendship, bewilderment and the journey of China and Tibet during the 1950s.

For me, this was a breath taking read. It was selected by my local reading group and I devoured the book in one sitting. A fabulous book and definitely a favourite.

At the end of the book is an open letter from the author to Shu Wen, who left the area before Xinran had chance to talk to her again. Did Xinran ever make contact with Shu Wen? We have no way of knowing and I am itching to know!

1 comment:

  1. Well, after what you wrote, I must find this book and read it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...