Sunday 3 February 2013

February Collage Photo Festival - Day 3

This photograph is of my Grandmother and came to me after she had passed away. It was one of three photos that  was posted to me from my Cousin who thought I might like them. She was quite right!

I can not exactly date this photo. I have a feeling that it was taken before my Grandmother was married. I can not see her fingers, because of how she was sitting with is a shame.

I notice that she is wearing a necklace. Something, that I never saw her do. The only jewellery she wore was her wedding ring. Her Eternity and Engagement rings were always in her jewellery box and are now in mine! I wore my Grandmother's wedding ring as my something old on the day I got married. Which was, very special. More about that on day 14 of the festival!

I think that is taken when she is in her mid 20's, so around 1937 which would fit with the general scene of pre Second World War. As to the location, seaside favourites were varied. As a child we would go to Bognor, Portsmouth or Brighton on the South Coast. Brighton is known for its very pebbly beach. It looks like sand behind, so that rules out Brighton. My Grandmother's sister, Elsie and her family routinely went to Hastings, so perhaps she went with them. My Grandfather's sister, Gladys and her family lived in Southend Essex and we have lots of photos of them there.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a lovely day at the seaside :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old photographs. Look at all the people in the background. In the old days, there seemed to be more people on the beach. Even in Australia, my mother told me they slept amongst the crowd on the beach during extra hot nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother looks so young in this picture. Too bad she has her fingers hidden. Looking forward to day 14.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my Grandmother, and I just wish that she had allowed us to see if she was wearing a ring.

      Delete
  4. She looks quite young to me and I think she also looks like you Julie. Maybe someone will be able to say which beach with some certainty, but in another way that doesn't greatly matter. If she was newly engaged or married surely she's have made sure her rings were visible -that's usually true of most young women I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were quite a like, certainly in temperament. My hunch is that this was pre marriage & War. My Grandparents married in 1939, and the beaches were out of bounds after then.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...