Wednesday 28 August 2013

Global Genealogy

This morning whilst I was consuming a bowl of Kellogg's Crunchy Nut I was reading through my mail and I spotted a post from Jill who blogs at Geniaus. As I read through the questions listed, I put my cereal to one side and started to type up my response. Alfie was far from impressed as I always leave him a little milk at the end, which today was much longer! I know he is a very spoilt dog!

It occurred to me that without the internet I would never have met the genealogists that have taken part in Jill's meme, or responded to the comments either via Jill's or my Google+. Then I got to the bit in the questions about collaboration and then the idea of Global Genealogy came to me in a flash.
Image from Globe Photo
The concept is in fact a simple one, it actually connects what genealogists and especially those of us that blog do best. Collaborate. So here is the deal.

There will be a blog which will be hosted and written by us all. The vision is that there will be one post each day,- which means 365 people 365 blog posts. Or it could be 28 of us with a post, each writing a post on a particular date in the month, with days 29 - 31 covered by volunteers. It depends how much the word spreads, as to how many people want to take part.

The only criteria is that the post must be genealogical, family history or at least historical, local history connected in some way.

So that is easy....right?

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:01 pm

    Writing the post might be easy enough for each of us, but coordinating will be a challenge. The logistics are boggling my brain at present but what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I would reel you in....and I am not the fisherman (or women) in this household!

      Well I guess the coordinating will be me, but I plan to give those who raise their hand access to post to the blog, which means as long as everyone knows what day is their's we should be good!

      I have added you to my list......perhaps before you get caught up in silly season you could let me know if you have a preference for day of the month if it becomes appropriate?

      Delete
  2. Sounds good Julie. How about 20th. Will put on my thinking cap. Silly season? Heaven help us it's not that close is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope not, although a local garden centre has Christmas stuff in already. 20th, sounds good!

      Delete
  3. I'm up for the challenge. How could I not be seeing as I'm partly responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be happy to contribute with a volunteer post
    Regards
    Anne
    Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, great to have you on board! - so a date between the 29th - 31st is good?

      Delete
    2. A date between the 29th and 31st would be fine

      Delete
  5. I would like to do it. Perhaps a post would be inspired by something that was posted before. I don't think it matters what day I get. Christmas stuff!? It's still summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still Summer, but beginning to cool down a bit - the mornings are a little nippy! A local garden centre has Christmas items in, although when I initially mentioned silly season I was really referring to Pauleen's busy schedule, without giving detail - the internet being what it is.....

      So, I am thinking that we may need to select a date and work with that each month - unless we can get lots wanting to join.

      Delete
  6. A very interesting idea. I like a challenge and would enjoy being involved. Working full time, weekends are best for me but any day is fine as long as I know well in advance.

    Would you like me to promote on a few Genealogy Facebook pages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you Sharon, promote away! If we can get a regular 28-30 people then it is one post per month - if we can get more then that will space it out a bit.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous3:03 pm

    Hi Julie, great idea. I would like to take part too. Merron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merron - thanks. I have added you to the list.

      Delete
  8. I would love to participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are added to the list! Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! You are added to the list!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Julie - count me in. I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, You are added to the list! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Count me in too! Sounds a great idea, should get a terrific range of posts.

    If it goes to a date the 3rd is good for me (or any day really)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, great! I have added you to the list and the 3rd it is!

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...