Monday 26 May 2014

Armchair BEA - Literature

Armchair BEA
Today kicks of Armchair BEA.(You can read the Agenda HERE) I have participated the last few years and especially enjoyed last year. This year I have been a little out of sorts spending some days completely preoccupied with other issues; issues that I can not change. One thing that has helped me is reading, which is always my emotional bolt hole!

So without further ado let me kick off the start of BEA week with today's post. I have selected to write about Literature, but you can write an introduction or do both! You can read my introductory post for 2013 HERE. You can read all my previous Armchair BEA posts HERE

Literature

"What do you think of when you think of literature? Classics, contemporary, genre, or something else entirely? We are leaving this one up to you to come up with and share the literature that you want to chat about the most. Feel free to share a list of your favorites, break down your favorite genre, feature your favorite authors, and be creative about all things literature in general."

The Oxford Dictionary on-line defines literature as written works, especially those considered superior or demonstrating lasting artistic merit. Considered by whom? 

When reading the same book a group of people will typically take something different away from the book. That is because we are all individuals and have our own preferences. The book group I attend  recently read Hamlet. Not my choice. I have flashbacks to senior school O-level English. Hamlet is, in my opinion best viewed rather than read. 

We recently read with the same book group Animal Farm by George Orwell. Most of the group had never read it, someone thought it was ridiculous and a child's book because the animals were talking. I recounted that this was also a set English lit book for O-level and was read around the same time as my history O-level group were looking at Russia. There were some blank looks around the room, before the realisation that actually Animal Farm was quite a clear book. I wonder what it was that prompted George Orwell to write such a book. 

It seems to me that literature can be whatever we want it to be. It can be books that have left a lasting impression on us as individuals and thus my list will perhaps have similarities with others but will probably not be identical to someone else.

Books that have left a lasting impression with me are
and there are many more. Each has left an impression on me for different reasons, and several of these books I have read more than once.

What are the books that have left a lasting impression with you?

2 comments:

  1. Lasting impressions for me are still pretty vague because I have a terrible memory, but The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt, the Balkin Trilogy by Olivia Manning and other historical or family saga-type novels tend to stay with me most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:09 pm

    When you say 'literature' I think of a book that's a bit harder to read than the average chick-lit, but worth it because of the beautiful language. Usually not the kind of book that I'll take on holiday (or maybe just the one), but that I enjoy reading at home.

    I loved Cold Comfort Farm and Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell), two great examples of literature.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...