Sunday 11 May 2014

Weekend Cooking - Coffee Swirls

As I said in last week's edition of Weekend Cookingmy Grandmother was a pretty good cook. About twenty years ago my Mum gave me my Grandmother's cookery books. They were nothing particularly special, but I am not surprised that Gran had them, she was a Women's Realm fan.

My Grandmother often cooked from memory, but this little book always happy memories for me; and in particular the recipe I am going to share with you today.

The little book is paperback, with 98 pages and quite rightly includes 101 cakes to bake. The last two pages has over the years become torn, not surprising when I recall where my Grandmother kept it. Several pages have had sellotape applied to the spine of the book. That sellotape becoming brittle over the years. The book dates from 1978 and cost the sum of 50p. Nowadays you can not even buy a pint of milk for 50p!

Over the years she made various recipes and I don't recall Mum ever making any of these, but she might have done. I certainly know that I have never baked any. Not even my favourite that I am sharing with you. My favourite was Coffee Swirls.
Coffee Swirls, Page 50 of Women's Realm  Book of 101 Cakes to Bake
Published 1978 by Susan King

A quick check of the cupboard for the ingredients and a spare half an hour or so and I made a batch of these, although I only made eleven. Here they are, without any swirls though! A lovely trip down memory lane!
Julie Goucher 5th May 2014
Weekend Cooking is a weekly meme hosted by Beth at BethFishReads

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww :)

    Mmmmmmm!

    I really should dig out my Nans Carrier's Kitchen collection! She used to love that man lol

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm these really look good. Anything with coffee and spices has to be good in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect way to spend an extra 30 minutes or so! They look great.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...